Let's compare this Plan to a path. It's perfectly straight. Paved by our "Help Meet" himself. Though straight, it's very narrow. Nevertheless, a straight and undeviating course. You are told, when given the outline of The Plan, that you must follow this straight and narrow path, just as the One who paved it did. Seems easy enough, right?
When you were told about this Plan, you were given a great gift - agency. You were given the right to choose what you wanted and didn't want. Thus giving you the choice to follow the Plan or not. But also risking the opportunity of gaining the reward that awaits you at the end of the Path.
If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's the difference between easy and simple. I'm just now starting to understand it. This Plan is simple, but not always easy. But I think it's our choice - whether it's easy or not. Like I mentioned earlier, the Plan has already been laid out, the path has already been paved. All we have to do is follow it.
In our lives, we're raised to know right from wrong, good from bad, smart from stupid. We're taught to know the truth and how to live our life the right way. But remember that gift we were given? Agency. We have choices. Freedom. We're taught these things, but once the coach puts the ball in our hands, it's our turn to decide what to do.
You know what you should do in your life, you see the path in front of you, but nevertheless, you sometimes fall off course. Perhaps because of distractions, obstacles, trials. You know though, you've been told what to do! So what else could it be...a lack of faith? You put your trust more in something that you can see, rather than something or Someone, that, at the moment, cannot be seen. There inlies the test. You're given the option to choose between what is right and what is easy. The right things is often times, not easy, but it's simple. A lot of the times, it comes down to setting aside what you want, how you want the Plan to be laid out, and submit to the One who designed the Plan in the first place.

We can't go through with this Plan without the One who created it, without our Help Meet. Look at the painting above. This is one of my favorite works of arts. It's from Michelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel. Notice the difference in God's hand and Adam's. God reaches out, with strength, to pass that strength to Adam. Adam reaches back, though his hand is weak and feeble. Frail, you may say. "O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned and think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish." (2 Ne. 9:28) It's impossible to get through the plan, get through this life, without God's help. Without relying on Him. Without following His counsel. But again, it is our choice. "O, my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness in transgressing against that Holy God, and also the awfulness of yielding to the enticings of that cunning one. Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal." (2 Ne 9:39) Notice what the first letters of the last five words spell - smile. Following through with the plan brings happiness. Happiness and joy beyond comprehension. Spiritually minded is realizing and looking forward to what's to come and what needs to be done to get to that point. This requires us to remain on the straight and narrow path.
In my life, there have been several times that I have fallen off the way. And I may have seemed happy, but I wasn't. There was always something missing. A pit in my stomach. In my soul. That wasn't there. I longed for it. And it wasn't until I got back on the right path, that that pit was filled, and I felt happy. I found myself again.
I've come to realize that the only way that we can go off course is if we make a conscious effort to do so. "There is so much guidance and direction available that you won't make major mistakes in your life unless you consciously ignore the guidance you receive." The path has been laid before us. It is our choice. Do we want pleasure now and guilt later, or happiness for eternity. Remember, "wickedness never was happiness."
No comments:
Post a Comment